A terrible confession

To be honest I hate confessing that I am a terrible mom. I always vowed I wouldn't be that mom who had the screaming child and the child that looked like an orphan all the time, but I am more than I want to be.
As you noticed I just posted a blog about Abby and to be honest I struggled with what to say. She is a funny girl, but she is going through such a difficult time I struggled to think of nice things to say about her. I know there is lots of good things about Abby, but right now they aren't as evident as some other traits that we are struggling with. It was actually really good to focus on her good qualities, but hard for me. I know she is so sweet and I love her very much, but she is being so difficult it is really hard to like her right now.
Last night we started to put our kids to bed around 8 pm, so they could go to bed at a normal hour after our crazy summer hours. But Abby didn't go to bed until after 9 pm. Why . . . because she was throwing a tantrum that would put all tantrums to shame. It started because she didn't want to fold her arms for the prayer, then she tried to yell through the start of Ben's prayer. So we know she knows better so we told her to stop or she would have to sit in the other room. So of course she didn't stop so we put her in time out in the laundry room. Where she proceeded to kick the dryer like she was trying to kill something. So then she had to sit in the kitchen corner for time out. And it took almost 20 minutes to have her sit in time out without trying to escape and run away and throw a fit on the floor.
So finally we finished with time out and proceeded to brush our teeth and go to the bathroom. So then we had a screaming match because she didn't want to go to the bathroom. It was awful. I really just don't know what to do. A few days ago she was in time out four times before 9:30. Then she is not very nice to people. Our cute neighbor girls come over all the time to play with Abby and she will never play. She tells them she is playing by herself or with Grace and Ben. She won't smile at anyone and is very snobby. I am hoping with a new schedule and Ben going to school I can focus more time on Abby, but I don't know if that is the answer. I really am struggling with what to do that would help us all.

Comments

Stephanie said…
Erin...you are anything but a terrible Mom!!! You are wonderful. It is definitely more challenging at times to stay calm, loving, and in control. You know that Gage just got out of this stage and he was the same age as Abby when he was going through it. It was SOO HARD. Abby really is such a darling little girl, she is just working for her independence right now.

I will have to pass on a book that helped me...didn't stop the way he was acting just helped me change my way of thinking. I remember telling Mom that I try so hard to not take ANY moment for granted with the kids, no matter how hard, but when Gage was in the middle of a full out tantrum, I just couldn't help but wish it away.

Hang in there, it really will pass.
Gina said…
I have to agree with steph. You are not a terrible mom. You are actually a very cute mom. Don't worry, she is just testing her limits and seeing how far she can push you to see what she can or can't get away with. My favorite part was when she was kicking the dryer - I started laughing so hard because anyone with kids can relate to those kind of tantrums. I can't say I understand with the emotional side of it because I have all boys who tend to be less emotional but I totally understand being so frustrated that you don't know whether to pull your hair out or have a complete nervous breakdown. Hang in there Erin and know your a great mom!
Angie said…
Erin, I'm sure you're a great mom. I feel like a terrible mom sometimes too. I think A LOT of moms feel that way sometimes. Especially through hard stages. We're just starting with the tantrums over here...but it definitely is NOT fun to try to deal with on a daily basis. Good luck and I hope things with Abby get better soon.
BryceandSally said…
You are a fabulous mom!! Sorry it's hard right now. Gavin is the same way right now! I think that whoever said, "Terrible Two's" Never had a three year old!! I think it's just their age! Good luck with her!

Let me know when you want to come running again with me!! It was fun to have someone to run with!
Melissa said…
Oh Erin, you are so amazing and thank you so much for writing this post. I am going through tough times with Harrison right now. It is so nice to know that I am not alone. I don't have any amazing advice or any ticks. But just pray. Some days that is the only thing that gets me through the day.
Erin said…
You are a great mom!!! I love to watch the fun things you do with your kids and try them on mine. Just remember when you need a break Chloe would LOVE to have Abby come over. She can have timeout at my house.
Shiree said…
I think that Alex and I have gone through a few of these stages together, so I can relate. My kids are starting to get much better as the summer winds down and we get to put them in bed earlier. I hope it's the same for you and your cute Abby!