Buyers Remorse


Over a year ago Bryce drew out a elk hunt tag for a "chance of a lifetime hunt". So one night while we were out to dinner Bryce was telling how special this hunt is and how lucky he is to draw out. So being the kind and gracious wife that I am I told him that since it was such a special hunt he could put the elk in the house. Looking back now I believe it was a personal moment of weakness. What was I ever thinking!! I have never cared for dead animals in a person's home, I really don't believe that is where they belong. Well after being married now for 8 1/2 years, I have softened somewhat in my views, but still I don't love the dead animals. So I'm not sure what happened to me to say such a thing. But the decision was made long before the Elk was ever brought home. (In fact we had to alter our house plans and move the fireplace in our new home to accommodate the new elk addition)
So in September Bryce went on his hunt and shot his "trophy elk". I was shocked at the size of the elk. I remember thinking this was not going to hide well and how would I decorate around that "thing". Well almost ten months later and the elk mount is done. After ten months anyone would forget what it really looked like and think they might have exaggerated the size a little. So maybe it won't be so bad.
Bryce has been like a little boy looking forward to the last day of school. He was so excited to go pick up his elk. So finally he was able to pick it up this week. When I got home Bryce and his dad had already unloaded the elk and put the elk in the shed for a temporary home until our house is done. So when I walked in the shed I was shocked by what I saw. It was bigger than I remembered. IT WAS HUGE!!! I couldn't believe that anything that big would ever fit in a doorway - really! I really can't explain my feeling expect for comparing them to really strong buyers remorse, you know when you buy some big item and get it home and are a little sick to your stomach wondering why you bought it. Well this was a major buyers remorse. So I sat and look at the thing for a good twenty minutes or so and decided a few thing: 1) The table the elk is on is beautiful, Bryce built it himself and did a great job. It will look awesome. 2) The yellow leafs are pretty and we could definitely bring that color into the room for decorating. 3) For being a dead animal it is beautiful. I mean really it will look huge, but it is pretty. It is one of the best mounts I have ever seen.
So while I am still a little shocked I am so happy for Bryce. It turned out great and he is happy with it. Building this house I have had a lot of say and Bryce is very wonderful to let me pick out a lot of things I like. He is definitely not a decorator or really care what is in our house, so I am glad that he had something to add to the decor. I am glad that our new house will reflect us both. (even if his is a huge dead animal)

Just a comparison - Lynn's biggest elk hanging on the wall in the shed.

Bryce's elk on a mount. Yes, it really does take up the whole corner of the room and is taller than Bryce.

The beautiful table Bryce made out of the old barn wood. It turned out so great.

Good Morning Sunshine!! What a looker!!

The whole mount - it's pretty huh?

Comments

Jennica said…
I'm with you; it is way pretty, but huge. And I'm not necessarily one for mounted animals. I love the table! He did a great job!
Shiree said…
Oh, wow. That is huge.
rupee40 said…
Wow. I think this whole thing is hilarious!! You are such a good sport, Erin. I hope Bryce reads this and realizes what a great wife he has!
Actually it is beautiful and the barnwood table is awesome. I can only imagine how excited Bryce and Dad both were. Good luck decorating "around" that.
Erin said…
All I can say it you are one nice wife. You are WAY nicer that I am. I do like the yellow flowers and the table. Way to go Bryce.
The Goodrich's said…
Oh I am laughing while reading this. It is so big! Wow, you are nice. I guess that's what marriage it all about-compromise. And sacrificing something you want/need to make the other person happy.

And, Bryce, if you read this-it looks great!