A Heritage to the Lord

Bryce and I were on our way to the temple last week and we were talking about journaling and I was telling him that my purpose in blogging, scrapbooking, and journaling is not to capture every moment, but to record my life. I want my children to read my words and remember me and what I love and why I loved to be their mother.
So today I am feeling some emotions I would like to share. At times I am frustrated with myself for not being the super mom. It is easy to watch others accomplish certain tasks that I know I never will or cannot do. So why do I care? I really don't know. I do love the things I can do, but at times they seem so small and insignificant. But I was reading the scriptures and in Moroni 7:12 it says,
"Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God. . ."
So actually I should not be thinking these negative thoughts because they will not bring about any good. But anything good comes from God. So when I considered the things I can do and they might not be as good as someone else, but hey I can do it. So when I considered it that way I realized that my kids don't realize or care that I am not perfect, but they think I'm usually pretty great. So I will let them keep on believing that.
It reminds me of the scripture in Alma 37:6
" . . . behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."
So even though what I may accomplish may seen small and simple Heavenly Father will help me to accomplish great things. So why every day I do the dishes three times, or clean the table off over and over, or pick up toys, that I'm sure I didn't get out, or try to teach my children something small and simple . . . I am making a difference.
I have to admit part of the reason all these thoughts are floating around my mind is because we have been asked to speak in our new ward and my topic is "Children are a Heritage to the Lord and teaching our children about Christ" Whenever your asked to share a talk in Sacrament it is a little scary to share ideas on something that we are not perfect with. So I have been thinking about what I could possibly share about the role of children and my role as a parent. A very special and sensitive subject I'm sure I will not get through without many tears.
But I was thinking about a close friend who on her blog always talks about giving our precious cargo a kiss. And its true sometimes we forget how special our kids are and I am truly blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people who remind me of the importance of my job as a mom.
So why I am still considering what I could possibly share about the divine role of children I do recognize that I am grateful for three beautiful, healthy, crazy, fun, happy, cute kids. I am thankful for the blessing of the gospel in my life that has given me the knowledge of the plan of happiness and to be blessed with an eternal family. I am grateful for the time I can surround myself with my children and watch them learn and grow. They are definitely a Heritage of the Lord. They are simple and innocent. And it is my job (and Bryce's) to let them fill Christ love and develop a testimony.

Sorry for those of you who actually read this because I realize it is a little sappy and emotional, not something I am good at sharing with others, but really had to record my feelings.

Comments

Jayne said…
This is great!! So something that I needed today :0) So I am grateful that I checked your blog!! My purpose was to get on here and wish you a belated Happy Birthday!! So there's that but thanks so much for sharing those thoughts!! Much love :0)
Jay and Barb said…
Being a mom will always be the best joy and the greatest accomplishment ever. Dont' ever doubt that what you do is the most important thing ever. You are wonderful as mom.
Shannon said…
Erin it is funny you write about that because I am always looking at you and see you as the "Super Mom." Your kids are so lucky to have you as a mom.
Jake and Alayna said…
I agree w/Shannon, you ARE a super mom! Thanks so much for sharing that, I needed that today as well.
rupee40 said…
That is so neat, Erin. You are an amazing mom, and do so many fun things for your kids. Ben, Abby, and Gracie are the best kids and are so lucky. You always seem like you have it all together and you do a great job!! Thanks for sharing. (And good luck with your talk, you'll do great!)
Stephanie said…
Very well said. And from the outside looking in...man, have you got it together!! You are so organized and always have something fun planned for you kids. Your kids are all such little treasures, you do a wonderful job raising them.