When I grow up . . .


The only thing Ben has ever wanted to be when he grew up was a dad. But now he is considering finding a paying occupation. He decided he wants to be an author. A few weeks ago Bryce sent Ben an email and Ben had so much fun emailing back. He loves to sound out the words and email his grandparents. It takes about a half hour for him to write two or three lines, but it's all by himself.

So this is the email he sent my parents last week:

Ben's emel i love you. i lic too play on your logs especially jupen off of your logs on too your trapulen that is soopr doopr fun. i love win mi mom ses we git too go too
your bak that is soopr doopr soopr doopr soopr doopr too go too your bak. is this your frst emel we set. and is this your coolist emel we set. i am excited too go boten
i wil breg mi fishenpool. this i rile nes a fishenpool cus this is fishen. love ben

(this email tells my parents that he likes to play on the logs in their back yard, that it is super duper fun to go see my mom at the bank, and that he wants to go fishing with his grandpa)

So when he realized how much fun it was to email he decided to write a book. The book is entitled The Boys Bird. It is about a boy who goes hunting in various places and shoots various animals, but they are not good for dinner. So he finally shoots a bird. But in Ben's words it is so much better:

The boy’s boord

boy wnit too the woos and hut he shotid a duv and a dir and a fesit but that he sed is not good for dinr he sed

Den he wint too his truc and got in and drov up the maotins and shotid a elc and a gras but that he sed is not good for dinr he sed

Den he wint too his truc and got in and drov daoon the maootins and in the swamp and shot id a duc and a ges and a swon but that he sed is not good for dinr he sed

Den he wint too his truc and got in and drov too the dezrt and shotid a atalop and a ciode but that he sed is not good for dinr he sed

den he wnit on the other maootins and shotid a matinliins and a bighoornshep and a matingot

Den he wint too his troc and got in and wint too aiasca and shotid a ber and a wof

drov too the frm and shotid a brd the brd av his drem

The end

Then today Ben was playing outside with Abby and he came inside and said, "Mom, hurry you have to come outside because I found a fossil." So I went to see what they had found and Ben and Abby had found a big rock that was mostly covered by dirt. Ben told me he needed one of those brushes to brush it off because he was sure it was a fossil. So for the next two hours my kids played outside in our garden digging for fossils. If a rock was on top of the dirt it was indeed a rock, but if it was buried under the dirt it was a fossil. Then Ben found a few gross dirty bones that were at one point the dogs that the dog had lost in the dirt, and those were for sure part of a dinosaur.

So after the big dig Ben came over to me and said, "Maybe I will be and author and a paleontologist". I was laughing so hard. It was so cute. He was so excited to show his fossils to Bryce and his grandparents. When Bryce got home from work he could barely get out of his car. My kids were showing him every fossil they found. And he sat down with them and they decided what each fossil was and what part of the dinosaur it might be. Ben was so happy.

So while I'm so glad that Ben wants to be a dad (and you can tell why he would he has the best example). It's great that he is also looking into a few other options.



Just a cute picture of my girls: Ben told Abby that she looked like a girl rock star


Comments

The Goodrich's said…
So ambitious. I love it!
rupee40 said…
That is so cute. I love his book. I remember loving to type "reports" about myself when I was little, too. But his is way more creative!
Shannon said…
Ben is so smart and will be so successul when he grows up. He is such a loving older brother. It is so funny he makes up nicknames.
Shiree said…
That is a GREAT book. How old is he?
Jake and Alayna said…
I am so impressed! What an awesome book, Ben! He is quite the illustrator as well, very impressive! I love that it was all about hunting too, I wonder where he gets that from?
Erin M said…
Ben is in Kindergarten. He will be 6 in July. He is in Ella's class and they are good friends.
Jay and Barb said…
Thanks so much Erin. I miss seeing your sweet little family at church. It was so good to see you and Grace last week. She has grown up so much.
Your kids are so cute and smart! That Ben is a smarty and writes pretty good- I am impressed!