Bryce's trophy hunt

If Bryce was writing this blog it would be told a little different, but he's not and since this is my blog you get my version of his "successful" hunt.
Considering how some men hunt I consider myself very lucky. This was one of the longest periods of time Bryce has left me to become a "hunter". He left Thursday just before lunch and came home about lunch on Sunday, but I "got my husband back" on Monday. So all this considering I know it's not that long in the hunting world, but in the mom world it's an eternity!
We have known about this hunt for about six months and Bryce has been so excited for about six months. I mean if he thought about it too much he wouldn't be able to sleep. I guess I can compare it to the trip of a lifetime, like say if I won a vacation to go back to Europe. It seems crazy, but yes the price tag is comparable (not that we paid this much). So anyway to Bryce I guess this was like winning a paid trip to Europe, but instead it was a guided Elk hunt.
So knowing that more than liking he would be leaving Thursday and there was little chance to not a very good chance that he would be called before - he had his bags packed on Saturday, like any good hunter would. Then finally on Wednesday he was told that he could come down on Thursday.
So now the fun begins. His dad and Bryce drive down to Kanosh and stay in a motel with their good friend who is helping to guide the hunt. They were able to do a little scouting on Thursday, but they didn't see a trophy.
So on Friday they looked around in the morning, but there was another truck - which is not a good thing for a hunter. (Besides the fact that it is private, it's not good to have other "hunters"). So they kinda had to wait around until that afternoon and were able to move to another spot.
By Saturday Bryce was really excited and a little nervous - he really wanted to find "the big one". So they looked in the morning and it was fairly disappointing. So he was a little discouraged.
So flash back to me (since this is my blog - I can do whatever I want). I have now had the kids for two days and two nights. They are missing their dad terribly and want him home. I talked to Bryce Friday and could tell he was getting a little nervous about not seeing the Elk like they had hoped. So I was getting worried too . . . what if we had to do this again. What if I had to have the kids alone again, Oh this was not a good thought. Like every other mom I realize that I am lucky to have a husband who is home most of the time and so willing to help. So this was tough. I mean I have to admit that my kids were good. We had a movie night on Friday and they had a blast and went right to bed. And Thursday we went with my mother in law for dinner and played. So we had been busy and they were having fun, but we all missed Bryce. So by Saturday I was really hoping to hear from him soon . . . with good news.
So Saturday I had a scrapbook retreat all day (which I had already signed up for). But it was a nice break for me and my kids. It was also Ben's first soccer game that I came home for (which is it's own story). So I have to thank my mother in law and my mom for helping watch my kids and giving me a break. So it was a long day of scrapbooking and by the end of the day I still had not heard from Bryce. So at 10 pm I checked my phone again and there was a message. It was Bryce he was very excited because he had shot a "Big One" and would be home in the morning. It was so exciting, I was so excited for him and for me.
So we have early church, so when we got home Bryce was on his way over. My kids couldn't wait for him to come home. They waited on the front lawn and also recruited Ben's good friend Logan to come and wait outside with them.
When Bryce and I were married I knew he loved to hunt and I was OK with that. His dad had just build a shed in the back of their yard and all the trophies were laid to rest in the shed with vaulted ceilings. So I didn't have to worry much, he knew I didn't want any animals and it wasn't discussed much. So when we found out about this hunt Bryce started looking in to different ways to display this Elk. So his friend told him about a pedestal mount. Which means no big Elk on the wall . . . right??? Well not coming from a hunting family this sounded great. No big head on my wall, just a little pedestal that I can put in the corner and let it be. In fact Bryce told me that you can put a door on the pedestal to store stuff, so now I even get to store stuff under this dead animal, doesn't this sound great? I mean I was just so happy about all this. So knowing that this was a big deal I agreed. Plus really how bad could it be, right.
Well back to Sunday the kids were yelling and screaming so I knew he was home. So I went out to see his "trophy" and about died. This was not going to hide well in the corner. This is what I saw:



My mighty hunter had shot a 7 by 6 that scores around a 350+. (which means little to me other than it is huge). So now my great idea was shattered. This was not going to be tucked in a corner. This needed some room.
Ben was so excited. His friend Logan jumped in the picture and Ben and Logan helped Bryce hold the antlers up. But Abby was a little nervous. She kept backing up until she got to our trees then she hide in our trees until we went in the house.

(The little pink dot by the trees is Abby - staying far away from the elk)

So I guess I have to say Congratulations to Bryce for shooting his "Big One". I've heard that this is a very good thing. All day Sunday we had visitors and people stopping by to hear the story. All the guys thought that this was great and were happy for him. I think most of the girls sided with me. But at this point there really are no sides because the deal was made and in 9 months you are all invited to the exclusive revealing of my new Pedestal mount Elk!!! Don't miss the show - it will be great.

So I know some of you are wanting more pictures of the actual elk, the night of the exciting event. So for those of you who take the hunters side and want the juicy details - that is a story better told by Bryce, but I will share more photos. So for each of you here are some shots Bryce took all the exciting shots of the "trophy elk" . . .



Comments

Stephanie said…
I seriously have tears rolling down my face that post was so stinkin' hilarious! And Bryce that Elk is ENORMOUS!!!!! Congratulations! Erin, condolences. Oh my, thanks for sharing, that totally made my night.
Jennica said…
Holy Hannah, It's huge! That's way awesome. I'm glad he was able to get his big one.
BryceandSally said…
Oh my Erin! I'm with you on no big heads on the wall!! My Bryce is going next week for a week, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to handle my kids for that long! Gotta love this time of year!
Irene said…
Where are you going to put that?! I have a suggestion.....the cabin in Bear Lake. That way you don't have to have it home, and he can showcase it up there. I worry about the day Matt wants one. I know it's exciting, but his will find a home in the garage!
Megan J. Dawson said…
wow! I kept hearing how big that thing is! I'm anxiously awaiting to see how the finished product turns out. Good Job Bryce!
Shannon said…
I saw it in person and it is huge, but with Bryce sitting right by it it looks even bigger. You definetly can't hide that thing in a corner!
Angie said…
That was fun to read. And wow, that elk is huge! I think I'm more like you as far as hunting goes (I come from a non-hunting family too). But I can now see Bryce's side after those pictures, cause I'm sure he's proud. That story of Ben and that girl is so cute. I agree that it gets so hard without husbands around, and I'm sure those few days were tough for you! I was secretly nervous when Blake got his calling today (with Dan as his partner and not me).. only because he helps so much with Taylee during church. But it's probably for the best, because the first-time mom in me needs to handle things better. :) He's going to have to do some major traveling next year for work, and I really need to get some practice without him around.
Sidney Cottle said…
Okay Erin....I'm reading that story and laughing (and sympathizing with your single mom-ness) and then I got down to your pictures and about died! That is freakin' huge!!! Oh Erin....good luck to you! :) That made my morning.
Jake and Alayna said…
Wow, Bryce, that is a way nice bull! Talk about a trophy of a lifetime! Erin, you definitely can't hide that thing in a corner! You'll have to dedicate a whole room for it! I wonder how Abby will react with it in the house? We really need to get together. I can sympathize with the whole single mom thing, that's one of the reasons I dread the fall: really long days with the kiddos! We should go on a post hunting season girls trip and leave our husbands with the kids!
The Goodrich's said…
I like your version much better, Erin. So funny! We'll have to have a party for the unveiling! We can have "elk meat appetizers!"
Oh my! That is a big trophy! Yes, good luck with that. My brother is big into hunting. YOur kids are adorable and you look great!
Jennica said…
This was a wonderful post, but that doesn't mean you get to take a month off from blogging.
Ty and Ber said…
Just think about how much laundry you can hang from that rack. :) That thing is massive. Nice job Bryce.